Your HSA can help you reduce your out-of-pocket healthcare expenses and your debit card is the safest and easiest way to make payments from your HSA balance. And if you have an account with Lively, using your debit card in addition to our mobile app or website means that your HSA is fully accessible anywhere or anytime.
Lively’s website enables you to manage your HSA online, from transfers to receipt uploads to investments, but your HSA debit card is a critical tool when it comes to spending your HSA balance on qualified health expenses.
Setting up your debit card
Once you receive your debit card, you can activate it by following the instructions that came along with it and your card will be ready to use.
You can also request up to three additional debit cards for a spouse or dependent children at no additional cost, even if they are not on your health plan. That way they can pay directly from your HSA each time they have a qualified expense.
Paying for qualified health expenses with your debit card
An HSA debit card gives you immediate, convenient access to your HSA funds for qualified out-of-pocket medical expenses and puts the tax-savings power of an HSA to work for you. You can use it wherever Mastercard or Visa is accepted, and there’s no need to transfer money in order to reimburse yourself for payments made out of pocket. In addition, your transactions will be tracked in your account’s online dashboard.
Once debit card is active and ready to use, follow these tips to get the most from your HSA spending:
- Choose credit when paying — it will help more of your payments process smoothly.
- Only pay with your card at the provider only when your portion of the expense is clear, for example at the pharmacy.
- To ensure that you’re paying only the portion you owe, wait for an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and bill for any expense that needs to be run through your health insurance plan.
- Don't pay until your insurance processes the claim. Once you verify the expense matches your EOB, pay the bill with your debit card.
- Get in the habit of uploading your receipt to your Lively dashboard after each payment using the Lively mobile app. The IRS requires you to save detailed receipts for each payment from your HSA and your dashboard makes it easy to save them all in one place.
HSA debit card fees
There is no fee to use your Lively HSA debit card. However, many traditional HSA platforms can charge you a fee to use your HSA debit card. It’s good practice to review your provider pricing to understand if this applies to you.
I forgot my HSA debit card, what can I do?
You can still easily access your HSA funds! You will pay out-of-pocket for your qualified expense. Then you can upload your receipts or bills to the Lively dashboard. Once you connect your bank account, that money will be transferred from your Lively HSA to your personal bank account within 2-3 days.
If you are regularly making medical payments out-of-pocket and reimbursing yourself from your HSA, you may be taking extra steps. Give yourself more control of your payments and get immediate access to your HSA funds by paying with your Lively HSA debit card. For more information about using your Lively HSA debit card visit our support center.
Disclaimer: the content presented in this article are for informational purposes only, and is not, and must not be considered tax, investment, legal, accounting or financial planning advice, nor a recommendation as to a specific course of action. Investors should consult all available information, including fund prospectuses, and consult with appropriate tax, investment, accounting, legal, and accounting professionals, as appropriate, before making any investment or utilizing any financial planning strategy.